Saturday, October 14, 2006

Forum confusion

It occurred to me earlier today that there may be some confusion over my quote in the commercial appeal in late September when it is compared with my response to Rev. Weatherwax. There is no contradiction, but as has been wisely said, "You should always lay things out very plainly for people otherwise they may well miss the point."

The CA article quotes me as saying that I had wanted to create a forum for members of the church to discuss these issues. That quote is quite correct (though it is difficult to anticipate just what part of what you had hoped would be published will actually get published). I had desired to do that long with providing commentary and covering what I saw as the issues that would not be allowed before the church (see mission statement).

In my letter to Rev Weatherwax, I noted that it was my personal blog and not a forum. This is true as well and extremely sensible given the context of our correspondence. The blog started as a personal blog, became a forum (by definition) when people posted their opinons, and (by definition) reverted from a forum to a standard blog when I turned comments off.

If you read the correspondence between myself and Rev Weatherwax, these points become abundantly clear, but just in case there was any question at all, I wanted to do some preemptive clarification before some tried to bring this to my attention.